Friday, October 17, 2014

The Philosophical Meaning of "Okay" (week 11)

Hi guys :) I love Fridays so much. So so much. Why can't every day be Friday? Oh, wait... then Fridays would suck. So much for Friday every day.

Today is my sister's birthday. I'd tell you how old she is, but that's kind of personal. Just know that she's younger than me. In any case, that means that today is also my friend's birthday, my neighbor's birthday, and about 6 million other people's birthday. I guess you could say I'm in a good mood... although that always seems to change. Funny how my mood changes so drastically.

I had a not so exciting week. But there was no school on Monday, so that was pretty cool. I had to lead a conference between my teacher and mother yesterday, which was awkward but okay I guess. My teacher basically told me that I should try and get involved in school a little bit more, which is hard to do when I don't make friends very easily, I am beyond weird, and oh yeah! I don't really like people. I'm not saying people suck... just that I tend to like being alone a lot. Whatcha gonna do about it?

Since I am lacking inspiration, I wanted to discuss the philosophical meaning of "okay". We say "okay" all the time, whether we mean it or not. But what does "okay" really mean? Google it and you get a million different definitions that basically all say the same thing. "Okay" is used when you are not really agreeing with something, but it's acceptable. This week I realized how often I used "okay" when things actually weren't okay. It was called to my attention when I was texting Ana the other day. She said something, and I replied, and she said "okay". So I said "okay" back. But I don't think I was necessarily agreeing with what she was saying, considering she didn't say anything except "okay". Is it possible to agree with "okay"? I mean, I guess it's possible, but isn't that just repetitive? And because I am the strange human being that I am, I wanted to redefine "okay" to fit modern society's needs for the word. Yes, we say "okay" when expressing agreement, and no, Google is not wrong. But I think that above everything "okay" is a word we use when we have no other way of phrasing what we want to say or when we run out of things to say. It's almost like you want the conversation to keep going, but at the same time you wish to be anywhere else.

I'm sorry that the first look you had in my brain was so dreadfully boring, but sometimes the most important things you can learn about a person are revealed through what they think about. Who would guess that behind my strange personality is a girl who spends her time thinking about how the meaning of life is to discover the meaning of life? Nobody, that's who.

I hope you somewhat enjoyed this rather short post... comment down below words you think need to be redefined, and we'll talk ;) And as always, don't forget to follow us on Instagram and Twitter :)

See ya laterrrrr <3

xoxo

- ash

2 comments:

  1. this is really interesting! I always end up thinking about stuff like this all the time... #PHILOSOPHICALBLOGGERS. you should do more like this! Eloise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks haha :) my mind tends to wander a lot... especially in school during lectures (shhh don't tell my teachers :P) haha - ash

      Delete